Topic: Offical Torrent

Hi.
Why dont you create an official Torrent to the installer , in case this sites get down .

Re: Offical Torrent

My two cents about it:

• don't really see any need for it, largest down time I had the last few days, was half a day iirc.

• no clue how to do it.

• another aspect which needs to be taken care of -> more maintenance, less time coding, reading up on changes or figuring out bugs&problems

• torrent tracker would need to be hosted somewhere, for years now the site runs on a tophoster-S account without any major problems or downtimes and I got no clue if it would support running a tracker somehow. Seeing that the transfervolumen of the page is around 1-2 TB a month, running a tracker somehow from home isn't really an option. (especially since me upload bandwidth is fluctuating a lot)

-> seems like a lot of trouble and not offering any real gain

Cu Selur

Hi.
If you give me permission , I Could create the torrent for you , but , it is REALY EASY ! You save the installer.exe somewhere .
Than open a Torrentprogramm , for Example UTorrent. Then , you select CREATE NEW TORRENT (This button Looks like a File )
There you can Chose File or Folder.
For the Tracker's just leave the Default public trackers. they have 90% Uptime , and are optimal for this .
Then you can choose to give it a comment.
Then you can Tick 1. Send file   2. Private (Wont be find in the Public TORRENT index ( UTorrent has a seartch Funktion ) , 3. Dont Change fileorder ( DO NOT TICK THIS ) 4. Create Crypted (No sense for a public Seed wink )

Then , click create ...
I can do a Video Tut for you , or create for you the .Torrent file...

Question is: What is the pro of having a torrent release? (Haven't heard anyone complaining that he had problems downloading from the homepage.)
Also from my experience adding a tool to torrent only makes sense if you have at least one reliable official source.

Theres a lot of sense . 1. Faster . You'r Servers are in Germany I Think , i am not from Europe , so if i have a Seeder in my Country ,wich is faster.
2. If the Website goes down , the file can still be downloaded.
3.You have less Trafic on your Side.
4. Your Server can upload , let's say 10 MB/s , when the file was downloaded via Torrent 10 Times , 10 People send the file with 1 MB , it is as fast as your Server , and if now Person 11 sends the file , torrent is faster.
5. Impossible to have a corupded file ( Checksums )
6. ETC...

PLEASE be carefull , when downloading this example , U Torrent want's to install BrowserAddins that you should declair.

Example file : https://remote.utorrent.com/send?btih=B … 4101656859

Oh , and you cant download the file , it was just a random private test file

Will think about it some more, still a bit concerned about the traffic though.
My private internet connection at home is simply to unreliable (and slow) to run a tracker or permanent torrent node.
A torrent where the source normally uploads with 1Mbit/s, if the connection is 'stable' doesn't sound like a good idea,...
-> will have to google a bit if there are small seeding boxes available. Don't really need that much space ~300MB for a release and I would only seed the latest release.

Selur wrote:

Will think about it some more, still a bit concerned about the traffic though.

There isn't more trafic for your Server , it is less. The compleat Exchange work with the users.

Selur wrote:

My private internet connection at home is simply to unreliable (and slow) to run a tracker or permanent torrent node.

No Need to, there are so called Public Tracker. By Default , the torrent Application create Torrent files with Connection to the 5 biggest trackers. So you don't Need one .

Selur wrote:

A torrent where the source normally uploads with 1Mbit/s, if the connection is 'stable' doesn't sound like a good idea,...
-> will have to google a bit if there are small seeding boxes available.

Better than a normal Connection. Linux also says on there Website , please use Torrent to downlaod.

Webserver I'm using atm. doesn't have the possibility to run a torrent client from it. So either another server or my private connection,..

Selur wrote:

Webserver I'm using atm. doesn't have the possibility to run a torrent client from it. So either another server or my private connection,..

No . You dont Need to have a torrent Server !
The users are enought .

That assumes that enough users are interested to download and share the file I upload,...
Since the Hybrid user base isn't that large it seems to be a waste,....