426 (edited by MiMoHo 2017-04-15 01:05:33)

Re: MKV Cutter - tool to cut h.264 mkv files frame accurate,...

#20160425 Great stuff! Took me a full day to find a tool that doesn't rely on keyframes for trimming H.264 by preserving full quality. Hope you will bring it on Mac OS X and expand the functionality a bit. One factor I miss the most is doing several cut-outs in a single workflow. An "import new file" button during the workflow would be an advantage, too. Unfortunately I noticed the same bug that occurs with software like VirtualDub that after the reencoded frames at the start the video has a short but annoying blackout right before the first keyframe which looks like an aspect ratio reset due to the x.264 encoding engine you use. If you solve the problems mentioned above and if the software will be able to communicate or at least read cutlists from cutlist.at to support OnlineTVrecorder, I will invite you for dinner smile

Happy you like it, but not sure whether porting this to Linux or Mac OS X will happen since this tool was only a proof-of-concept and never really meant to be more.

I noticed the same bug that occurs with software like VirtualDub that after the reencoded frames at the start the video has a short but annoying blackout right before the first keyframe

Never really saw that. Also if you cut-off something from the start the first frame shown is probably the first key frame.

due to the x.264 encoding engine you use.

You could replace the x264 (there is no dot in the name) binary if you wanted with a newer one (every binary which supports the '--stitchable' option  should would.

or at least read cutlists from cutlist.at to support OnlineTVrecorder,

Never heard of cutlist.at, looking at the format they used I could probably write a small converter which would convert their format:

[Cut0]
Start=489.32
StartFrame=12233
Duration=1205.04
DurationFrames=30126
[Cut1]
Start=2173.2
StartFrame=54330
Duration=1369
DurationFrames=34225
[Cut2]
Start=3989.24
StartFrame=99731
Duration=119.92
DurationFrames=2998

to

12233#42359
54330#88555
99731#102729

which you could load in MKV Cutter.

But is it worth the effort? Last time I played with a file from OnlineTVrecorder it was an avi with vfr, thus if the file is still vfr the resulting mkv would also be vfr which would be something MKV Cutter couldn't handle.
-> are those avis and thus the resulting mkv files still vfr?

Cu Selur

428 (edited by MiMoHo 2017-04-15 19:28:49)

I tried to reproduce the x264 bug but now it looks fine, though I wouldn't know how to "replace the x264". Comparing results from Avidemux by jumping between key frames tells me that your tool is able to cut inbetween of keyframes.

OnlineTVrecorder produces XviD or H.264 files with 25cfr packed in AVI containers as this is the only format VirtualDub supports which is soleily used among third party software like CutAssistant providing cut points for OTR videos to cut out commercials. These files can be processed by MKVCutter without any problems after changing the container in MKVtoolnix.

The advantage in converting files from cutlist.at to a format readable in MKVCutter, especially on Mac, would be significant as there is no more software in development for proper trimming of OTR videos on OS X since SuperOTR stopped development and still produces damaged video files until the first keyframe in the video visible by heavy pixelation. So if you spent some more time in adding the cutlist conversion feature or even change to the format used by cutlist.at would be awesome! At the moment it looks like it's not possible to see the sequences in the timeline that are added to the cutlist, nor they are editable once submitted.

Furthermore I'd welcome in future development:
- temp folder can be saved permanently
- "jump to frame" feature expanded to jump to cut points
- play button and audio output
- "check for updates" button or any other kind of information on the availability of a newer version beside manual checking in your cloud drive ;-)

a. about the updates each thread here got an rss feed and you could also 'subscribe' to the thread.
b. don't think any of those features will come any time soon since I don't actively develop MKV Cutter, since it was just a proof-of-concept to show that it is possible.
c. porting MKV Cutter to Mac OS X would require a full rewrite since Avisynth, which is used for preview isn't available on Mac OS. One could rewrite the tool and base it on Vapoursynth, but my normal free time is full with developing and maintaining Hybrid.

Cu Selur

Please help with saving.

I've read, re-read and tried things but getting no save.

All these problems for me are at the second screen after I create the edit.  The sequence never  completes correctly at Output and Temp.

Is there a simple Save after making the cut?  If not please give the steps. 

(Apologies for creating this question at two places for you-- I was at videohelp earlier.)

Here's what I posted over at videohelp to your question:

This is how one uses 'MKV Cutter': (or how the author envisioned one would use it)

1. Start MKV Cutter

2. Press 'Open Source' and select the .mkv file you want to cut.

3. MKV Cutter will now use MkvInfo, Mediainfo and h264_analyse to anaalyse the source will, once it's finished a new screen will show.

4. Here one selects the parts of the movie one wants to keep.

5. Go to a 'start-point' of a section you want to keep.

6. Press 'Cut-Start'

7. Go to the 'end-pont' of the current section you want to keep.

8. Press 'Cut-End'

9. The selected section should now be highlighted on the slider.

10. Press 'Add to Cut-List', so the selection section will be remebered.

11. Repeat step 5.-10. for all sections you want to keep.

12. Press 'Commit Cut-List' to finish the selection definition.

13. In the next view you set the 'Output' (File) and 'Temp folder'

14. Press 'Output' and set the name and location of the output file.

15. Press 'Temp folder' to set the folder that is used for temporal files.

16. Press 'Next' to start the actual processing.

17. Wait till 'MKVCutter' is done and the 'Finished!' popup appears.

The 'Save'-button allows one to optionally save a text file which contains the cuts.
(this is only useful if you have to make a lot of cuts and don't have the time to select all the cuts in one go)

Without more details that is all I can say.

Cu Selur

Thanks and I did see both postings.

I'll try not to burden you with anything.  Even the last line is helpful.  Since the program
does not say much about what it is doing I _may_ have simply exited too early
not having seen the message that  the job has run.

Maybe you could make a screen shot?

If I'm running a simple cut that lasts an hour,  15 mins, how long does it take to complete
on average?

On a decent machine a cut should only take a few seconds,...
Not sure what you want screenshots of.
Did you follow all the steps I wrote down?

Didn't start yet.  Ok, a few seconds is one thing.  The screen shot was for  any
"Finished" message that displays on screen so I know something happened.  Or "processing". 

I asked about time because I didn't know if, like processing a long piece, the
Cutter goes through all the frames and shows that happening it it's top window.

After a lot of failed attempts, I'm taking a breather from the MKV Cutter just a bit.

Follow the steps and post the content of the log at the bottom of the tool in case you are stuck somewhere,...

I am still on this but like I said, did not do a fresh sample yet.
I was reading back through this long thread for any dependencies and 'hints' that might be standard practice but new to users.

One poster mentioned that the placement of the temp folder
was important-- a different location than the whatever the work folder is.   This caused difficulty.   Is this true? 

I will post a log as you say when I do the job.

No, clue I never tried using the the same folder for output and temp. smile
Don't think there is a problem, as long as you don't name the output the same way as the input.

Cu Selur

Well, the temp folder might be a strange installation.
One other thing I forgot:  In that same message group the poster (I can get the number if needed) said that MKVCutter didn't work for him without Netframework 3.5.  I don't recall ever even hearing of that version... and then there is an update to it called 3.5- update at Microsoft.

And I'm aware that the current version is 4.0

I'm just trying to get past all the difficulties -- perhaps from using old Windows 7 Ultimate,  dunno.  Thanks for your patience.

MKV Cutter doesn't use .Net an neither does any of the tools. -> either ne is speaking of another tool or his system is broken some way or another if he needs to install .Net to run MKV Cutter.
On a normally updated Windows 7 (all updates, no strange modifications), MKV Cutter should run fine.

Cu Selur

Today I returned to MKV Cutter and had success.
I followed your steps but would add for completeness' sake

14. (a)  Hit SAVE button

I made the Temp folder on the desktop and didn't even try to name it.

Is the 'make Temp folder'  a part of each session?

I also got used to making a logfile but that's easy to forget.

Will now go to proceed to the actual cut job.  I'm of two minds concerning locating the Cut Frame  (1) in VirtualDub (at videohelp new update) or (2.) doing it by eye in MKV Cutter.

This is a make-do edit for me.

I was wondering if your expertise can provide a suggestion for
a freeware tool to do fade in and fade out for mkv?  My only experiment with that was a program called ShotCut.  I think their development leans toward Linux and I wasn't getting proper response.  Any other entry level tools for mkv you could suggest?  So far AVISynth is beyond me but I'm getting some instruction on that which is slow going.

Always grateful,

Lon

Never really looked into cutting with fades, since I only used MKV Cutter to remove commercials. smile
Not sure where you see the difference in location the cut frame in MKV Cutter and Virtual Dub, both allow basically the same navigation,...

Just now I don't have the program open.  Can the
frames be entered numerically?

You can enter a frame number and jump to the specific frame and then set it as 'Cut-Start/End', so: Yes.

I have had good success in doing my edit on the needed project with the guided help in MKV Cutter.  I don't know if the Net Framework 3.5 installed was some belt and suspenders secret sauce or not- even though you say it wasn't involved.

And when I reopened the program I saw the entry box for
a frame number.  With all this,   lately I have had numerous false starts and got very gun shy about making mistakes.  I'm still going to do a final viewing.  But after a sample was made and I did the actual job, it seemed to be to the accuracy and viewability needed (in the middle of a fade.)

Still working on learning which program will give easiest access to doing mkv fade ins and fade outs.

Thanks for help