Re: Ubuntu repository - maintained by djcj

Haven't checked, just saw it when I looked at the system of another user (who runs Lubuntu, LXDE based Ubuntu) and I was curious why it was there. smile (since I normally don't use styles smile)

I have uploaded dvdcopy to the PPA, a bad-sectors resistant DVD-to-disc command-line program.

Make sure to install libdvdcss too if you haven't already, so that you can read css encrypted DVDs.
To check if libdvdcss is installed you can simply search for the library:

find /usr/lib -type f -name libdvdcss.so*

If it's not installed run:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

@djcj: Could you update x265? Got an error message from a user which should only occur if x265 isn't up-to-date.
Thanks

Selur wrote:

@djcj: Could you update x265? Got an error message from a user which should only occur if x265 isn't up-to-date.
Thanks

x265 is now up to date. Ive updated ffmpeg to v2.4.4 too.

Thanks!

Small heads-up.
I'll probably release a new Hybrid version tomorrow, which will then also require an updated x265 version (in general it would be good if you could update x265&co whenever a new version is released, since I normally adjust Hybrid to always handle the latest version).

[...] in general it would be good if you could update x265&co whenever a new version is released [...]

Can you specify 'version'? The current release version is still 1.4 which is 179 commits behind the latest commit.

I ment Hybrid version. smile
-> when releasing a new Hybrid version to the repository, it would be nice if you could also update vpxenc, x265,...
Update = latest commit smile

59 (edited by djcj 2015-01-18 13:49:36)

I might think about resetting the repository or creating an alternative PPA with no library packages but only the binaries linked against their static libraries, to avaoid any possible package conflicts. But I haven't devided on anything yet.

edit: And I might only add tools which aren't available by default (like kvazaar or tsmuxer) or require to be up-o-date (ffmpeg, x265).

Thanks for the heads up smile

61 (edited by djcj 2015-01-18 19:17:22)

These packages are not available in any Ubuntu version and can safely be added:

bdsub2sup++ dcaenc delaycut divx265 dvdcopy flvextract flvextract-python* hybrid** hybrid-avisynth-extension kvazaar mp4fpsmod neroaac telxcc tsmuxer

* same syntax and features as the C++ version, but requires only python 2
** provides framecounter

mkvtoolnix is available in the repos, but it doesn't provide any libraries and to support hevc and upcoming formats and features it's probably better to keep it up to date.

And for these packages I would only provide the binaries statically linked against their libraries or using private libraries:

ffmbc ffmpeg mplayer/mencoder x264 x265

Question: does Hybrid require x264 to be linked against libav to make use of it?

edit:
x265 is only available in Ubuntu 15.04, so I can treat this as a regular package.

Question: does Hybrid require x264 to be linked against libav to make use of it?

If possible: yes, since otherwise x264s 10bit encoder can have problems handling the input.
(there are binary releases over at: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol … /binaries/ if that helps)

I think I'm almost done with the new PPA: https://launchpad.net/~djcj/+archive/ub … /+packages

But I have a question: can you add a few more alternative tool names to the Linux version for Hybrid to look for?

FLVExtractCL: /usr/bin/flvextract
With Hybrid looking for 'flvextract' first and then looking for 'FLVExtractCL'. This way I can use /usr/bin/flvextract as an alternative for the C++ and the Python version of the command line tool, which have both the same syntax, but the python version has less dependencies.

FrameCounter: /usr/bin/framecounter
flaccl: /usr/bin/flac

fdkaac: /usr/bin/aac-enc
This is the default name of the binary and used this way in Ubuntu, Debian and Arch.

will look into it, shouldn't be much trouble smile

65 (edited by djcj 2015-01-20 22:08:12)

Hey, I've never realized that FLACCL is not the same as flac. Fortunately FLACCL can be compiled with mono's xbuild. Does that mean Hybrid doesn't support the regular flac CLI?
edit: FLACCL will be missing dependencies (opencl.dll) and I have trouble to build OpenCLNet.dll, so I'll simply drop it from the tools package.

And by the way, I'm thinking of creating two meta-packages for the helper tools, one with tools that will be used very often (for compatibility reasons I'd call it hybrid-tools) and one with all the tools that are available (I might call it hybrid-tools-extra). What to you think about it? And which tools would you add to the regular tools package?

I'd suggest these for a regular tools package: aac-enc (fdkaac), delaycut, ffmpeg, framecounter, gpac (mp4box), lame, lsdvd, mediainfo, mkvtoolnix, mplayer, vorbis-tools (oggenc), x264, x265.

And the extra package would install the remaining tools too: aften, bdsup2sub++, dcaenc, divx265, faac, flaccl, flvextract, ffmbc, kvazaar, mencoder, mp4fpsmod, neroaac, opus-tools, sox, telxcc, tsmuxer, vpx-tools.

Does that mean Hybrid doesn't support the regular flac CLI?

Hybrid does support both, but the GPU based encoding is only available through flaccl. smile

And by the way, I'm thinking of creating two meta-packages for the helper tools, one with tools that will be used very often (for compatibility reasons I'd call it hybrid-tools) and one with all the tools that are available (I might call it hybrid-tools-extra). What to you think about it? And which tools would you add to the regular tools package?

I would differentiate between:
a. i/o tools:
ffmpeg, mplayer, mencoder, mediainfo, mkvtoolnix, delaycut, framecounter, lsdvd, gpac, sox, tsmuxer, bdsup2sub++, mp4fpsmod, flvextract, ffmbc, telxcc
are the basic tools which are used for input handling
b. encoders: vorbis-tools (oggenc), x264, x265, aften, dcaenc, divx265, faac, flaccl, kvazaar, neroaac, opus-tools, vpx-tools, aac-enc (fdkaac), flac which provide different audio or video output options, but have no additional side effects on the input

Here's a small list for better understanding what the tools are used for:

ffmpeg, mplayer, mencoder, mediainfo, mkvtoolnix, delaycut, framecounter, lsdvd, gpac, sox, tsmuxer, bdsup2sub++, mp4fpsmod, flvextract, ffmbc, telxcc

• ffmpeg: file analysis, muxing and demuxing, mp3/aac/ogg encoding (especially needed for audio decoding and high bit depth video decoding)

• mplayer: all non-avisynth previews, muxing and demuxing (especially needed for dvd input)

• mencoder: file analysis, Xvid encoding (especially needed for dvd input)

• delaycut: audio stream fixing (mainly for fixing some streams to avoid problems with MP4Box)

• mediainfo: file analysis (especially delay, aspect ratio, color matrix infos)

• mkvtoolnix: file analysis, muxing and demuxing (mkv/mka/..)

• framecounter: raw MPEG-4 ASP/AVC, VC-1, mpeg video support

• lsdvd: dvd file structur analysis

• gpac: muxing and demuxing (mp4)

• sox: audio filtering and conversion (without it audio support will be disabled smile)

• tsmuxer: m2ts handling (especially Blu-ray structure/iso creation)

• bdsup2sub++: subtitle handling (especially Blu-ray to DVD subtitle)

• mp4fpsmod: mp4 time code handling

• flvextract: flv demuxing (especially time code extraction)

• ffmbc: mov muxing (only needed for Quicktime compatibility)

• telxcc: Closed Captions extractiona and conversion to srt

• vorbis-tools (oggenc): vorbis encoding

• x264: H.264 encoding

• x265: H.265 encoding

• aften: alternative ac3 encoder to ffmpeg

• dcaenc: dts encoding

• divx265: H.265 encoding

• faac: aac-lc encoding

• flaccl: flac gpu supported encoding

• kvazaar: h.265 encoding

• neroaac: aac encoding

• opus-tools: opus encoding

• vpx-tools: vp8/vp9 encoding

• aac-enc (fdkaac): aac encoding

• flac: flac encoding

• lame: mp3 encoding

gpac (mp4fpsmod)

gpac and mp4fpsmod are two different things, gpac does contain MP4Box not mp4fpsmod which is needed for time code handling of mp4 files.

Cu Selur

Selur wrote:

gpac (mp4fpsmod)

gpac and mp4fpsmod are two different things, gpac does contain MP4Box not mp4fpsmod which is needed for time code handling of mp4 files.

I swear, I wanted to type mp4box, but somehow I typed mp4fpsmod. O.o

Selur wrote:

Does that mean Hybrid doesn't support the regular flac CLI?

Hybrid does support both, but the GPU based encoding is only available through flaccl. smile

Okay, so I can leave flac as a tool for hybrid.

I would differentiate between:
a. i/o tools:
are the basic tools which are used for input handling
b. encoders: vorbis-tools (oggenc), x264, x265, aften, dcaenc, divx265, faac, flaccl, kvazaar, neroaac, opus-tools, vpx-tools, aac-enc (fdkaac), flac which provide different audio or video output options, but have no additional side effects on the input

Most of the tools seem to be very useful, I guess the only tools that might be considered 'extra' are the alternative encoders like neroaac or kvazaar and the encoders that many people might barely use (I assume) like opus or vpx. However, those tools are small and have virtually no dependencies, so I guess I'll stick with the single hybrid-tools metapackage then. Thanks for the information.

Okay, so I can leave flac as a tool for hybrid.

Yes. smile

so I guess I'll stick with the single hybrid-tools metapackage then.

Yes, thats probably the easiest and least confusing way.

Thanks for the information.

No problem. smile

I guess the only tools that might be considered 'extra' are the alternative encoders

I think so too. There are always a few folks who don't need tool X but you never know. smile

Cu Selur

Hybrid can't find AVSMeter:

check file for AVSMeter in /home/djcj/.hybrid-bin
  checking for(1): /home/djcj/.hybrid-bin/AVSMeter
  -> doesn't exist,..

I assume it should look for AVSMeter.exe?

I assume it should look for AVSMeter.exe?

Yes. (fixed for the next release; waiting atm. for a feedback from the mingw64 developers since I can't atm build WinXP compatible binaries of the tool I stuff into the Windows installer due to a bug in mingw64)

The new PPA is online. People might experience problems because the old hybrid-common package conflicts with the new framecounter package. In this case they should just remove and reinstall their Hybrid packages:

sudo apt-get remove hybrid hybrid-qt5 hybrid-common hybrid-tools
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install hybrid hybrid-qt5 hybrid-tools

The new release now looks for the typical lowercase binary names like aac-enc or mediainfo. But it doesn't recognize /usr/bin/framecounter and /usr/bin/flvextract.
It would be great if it was looking for flvextract first and then for FLVExtractCL. This way Hybrid could make use of the python version of flvextract.

I've just tried installing a fresh install of Hybrid on Linux Deepin 2014.2 and am surprised to find that when it comes to installing 'hybrid-tools' that Linux insists that Wine is a required dependency as well - is this the case?  btw, Deepin 2014.2 uses the Ubuntu 'Trusty' repositories.

in general Hybrid should only require wine if the avisynth extension is added, but djcj can probably say more about the specifics when using the repository.

75 (edited by omelette 2015-02-26 19:54:21)

Wine is being listed as a requirement even though the avisynth extension has not been installed.  Also, I see that Dosbox is being listed as a required package for good measure!  I normally have Wine installed on most of my systems by default, but on the one where it's not, I was surprised to see Wine listed as a requirement, never mind Dosbox as well.   Just installing 'hybrid-tools'  eats up an enormous 616meg of disk-space, Wine contributing mightily to that I would imagine.