Topic: faulty sup streams

I have reencoded now about 35 pcs of my BD collection. 2 pcs from this amount of mkv's are holding subtitles (in SUP format)
with faulty duration and timing. Media info report these differences as well. So, these kinds of results are very very rare but exists.
The original SUPs inside the m2ts container are working correctly.
Have you ever realized such issues where the remuxed subtitles were defective?
I do not know how to correct them, either.

Re: faulty sup streams

Never encountered any problems with remuxing subtitles.
Would need a sample to look into it and try to find a workaround.

Cu Selur

Selur wrote:

Never encountered any problems with remuxing subtitles.
Would need a sample to look into it and try to find a workaround.

Cu Selur

As a sample, is the complete, demuxed, "faulty" .sup streams enough for you to check?

This failure has already been found on:

- We're the Millers (2013);
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010).

The demuxed file doesn't help.
I need a sample of the original which allows me to reproduce the issue.

Cu Selur

5 (edited by mparade 2017-06-02 20:33:03)

Selur wrote:

The demuxed file doesn't help.
I need a sample of the original which allows me to reproduce the issue.

Cu Selur

I meant the .sup file demuxed directly from the m2ts container using tsMuxer (not the one demuxed from the mkv container made by Hybrid which was faulty. Maybe the one demuxed directly from the m2ts container ("original") is faulty as well (maybe during demuxing it get defective and not during remuxing). Or do you need a sample of m2ts when the .sup file is still located in the original m2ts container?

I would need a sample of an m2ts file which allows me to reproduce the issue.

Cu Selur

7 (edited by mparade 2017-06-03 15:08:58)

Selur wrote:

Cu Selur

http://www.mammutmail.com/hu/download/7 … 8b0deac189

Here you can download the first 90 sec of the mpls which will result in a faulty Hybrid subtitle remux.

I do not know if it help to identify the problem or not. Attached the tsMuxer window after importing the corresponding mpls file. As you can see it is a multi-segment playlist.
MediaInfo reported more than 3h overall and subtitle durations which is impossible as well because the total length of the entire playlist is 1:59m. The lenght of audio and video seems to be OK
according to mediainfo, but there are audio jumps during the play of the remuxed mkv.

8 (edited by mparade 2017-06-03 15:11:07)

mparade wrote:
Selur wrote:

Cu Selur

http://www.mammutmail.com/hu/download/7 … 8b0deac189

Here you can download the first 90 sec of the mpls which will result in a faulty Hybrid subtitle remux.

I do not know if it help to identify the problem or not. Attached the tsMuxer window after importing the corresponding mpls file. As you can see it is a multi-segment playlist.
MediaInfo reported more than 3h overall and subtitle durations which is impossible as well because the total length of the entire playlist is 1:59m. The lenght of audio and video seems to be OK
according to mediainfo, but there are audio jumps during the play of the remuxed mkv.

Please let me know if you need some more info to solve the problem. The result is very annoying...

No clue what to do with the screen shots,...
Just to make sure: There are visible subtitles inside that sample which should be visible right? Otherwise how do you know it's faulty?

Confused,.. I used Hybrid to remux the whole thing and checked the english subtitle stream and it seems to be the same as the input.
-> no clue where to look for you problem

11 (edited by mparade 2017-06-03 16:16:39)

Selur wrote:

Just to make sure: There are visible subtitles inside that sample which should be visible right? Otherwise how do you know it's faulty?

I have just cut to 90 sec. for you the original mpls number 00099 including several .m2ts files (multi-segment playlist).
All the original sup files were kept inside the sample for you to check. The remuxed sups are faulty because of a false reported duration made by mediainfo and because of false timing (this statement is based on the complete feature remux made by Hbyrid and not a sample-level remux). After ~20 minutes of play there are false/"out of place in time"  subitles in the stream.

Selur wrote:

Confused,.. I used Hybrid to remux the whole thing and checked the english subtitle stream and it seems to be the same as the input.
-> no clue where to look for you problem

I think the problem cannot handle on a small 90 sec duration sample. The complete multi segment feature playlist should be checked by you...

Selur wrote:

The screenshots are to demonstrate that even though the mpls of the feature is 1h 59 m long (correct length), mediainfo reports the SUP streams with the length of more than 3h.
All software players think that the video has the same correct length of 3h, however the real lenght is 1h 59 m. It seems to me that the timing info of the embedded SUP files are damaged during the demux/remux process.

Sound all a bit like some not properly removed 'protection' schema,...

Selur wrote:

Sound all a bit like some not properly removed 'protection' schema,...

Finally, after 2 hours of testing, I solved this "sup problem" by using eac3to and hdbrstreamextractor.
They created proper streams from the same source, but tsMuxer did not.

Happy you found a solution, since eac3to isn't available for Linux and Mac I won't integrate it into Hybrid. smile
That said, ffmpeg might be capable to extract those subtitles,... properly. (No Hybrid doesn't support using ffmpeg to extract subtitles from transportstreams&co.)

17 (edited by mparade 2017-06-05 10:29:41)

Selur wrote:

Happy you found a solution, since eac3to isn't available for Linux and Mac I won't integrate it into Hybrid. smile
That said, ffmpeg might be capable to extract those subtitles,... properly. (No Hybrid doesn't support using ffmpeg to extract subtitles from transportstreams&co.)

For me, it is not a problem, because it is (according to my so far experince) a very very rare situation to have such "tricky" streams.

I have found the following very rare problems with Hybrid as well:

- sometimes Hybrid keep the dts-hd stream even if I check automatic dts-hd to dts downmix (very rarely!);
- sometimes Hybrid remux an other audio stream into the mkv container (e.g. I select hungarian, then remux czech - very rarely!);

that's all. Negotiating these above very small problems Hybrid is my number 1 program for conversion my BD-s.
Within a month I will complete my complete 2D and DVD collection and hoping you can help converting my 3D collection as well. smile